Monday 29 October 2018

Spooky Scary Skeletons (And Other Weird Things!)


Hey everyone! Welcome back!

So, Halloween is coming up in a few days, so I've been sketching and doodling things that are on the more....not precisely scary side, but at least more themed in that area, such as characters from my more 'horror' based story ideas such as Vita Mortis and Devil Contract. So, here are the 'Halloween' sketches/art in various stages of completion!

Firstly, for some sketches related to Devil Contract. I have shown some of these in the past - three characters being Damien, Lucy and the Hex Doll. I've once more drawn Hex Doll, both in its dormant and active forms. The dormant form is when Hex Doll looks and acts pretty much like a normal (if creepy) doll, while its active form is when it is pretty much possessed by demonic energy and has life of its own, thus acting as a kind of helper/partner to Damien.




The dormant form was drawn directly in pen, but the active form is currently in pencil and I'm considering doing it in a digital form, both in my usual art style and in the experimental art style I did my first Hex Doll idea in, just to see how it goes. Either way would be interesting, as my first iteration of Hex Doll did look kinda creepy using that alternate style. Perhaps using not so clean line art will also help the 'creepy' aesthetics in my usual style too? It'll be fun to experiment.

The other things I was drawing were related to Vita Mortis, thus about the grim reaper.

I drew this one a while ago, but thought maybe I should start diving it a bit of life. I'm not entirely sure about the flat colours, I'll admit, though it should look a lot better with actual lighting and making those eyes actually glow. I'm not entirely sure if the eyes should be red or blue right now, though admittedly when I think of a blue eyed reaper, I often end up thinking of Death from the Discworld books. It is something to experiment with. 

Speaking of the grim reaper, though, I did draw said character in a bit of a more active position, along with an idea for their scythe. 


Once again, I'd like to try out drawing this in a digital version, but with different types of line art. While smooth line art does leave a crisp picture, sometimes the line art itself can make the feel of the image change. I know that I dont tend to vary much at least digitally where line art is concerned, so it should be interesting to see what less strict/jagged or even just different sized line art would look like where this image is concerned. Depending on how it goes, when I end up focusing on Vita Mortis, it might make for an interesting aesthetic that might better fit the type of story I'm telling. If nothing else, changing up my line art styles could give me ideas for later 'dreamscapes' in my Dreamwalker series to help differentiate the various dream worlds from each other, and making reality and dreams a bit more obvious without screaming 'its a dream!'

Whether it works or not, it should make for an interesting experiment. Of course, as usual, I'm always happy to hear peoples thoughts! :)

Until next time (Happy Halloween!)

Tara



No comments:

Post a Comment