Wednesday 21 October 2015

The Nightmare Corridor

Hello again! Welcome back!

This past week has been an interesting one. As well as working on my comic, I've also been preparing for MCM in London. While we weren't able to get a table this time (shame), Nadia and I are still going to the convention, and we have an offer we are doing, involving Pandora, the joint comic that we are creating. We've got 100 fliers with special business cards attached to them. If you send us the information on the back of the card, Nadia or I will send a free limited edition print of one of the four main characters of Pandora.

If you follow me on twitter (@chosha_kurenai) I'll be posting up pictures and such, so if you see us at the convention, you'll know who we are.

On another note, I've been creating one of the backgrounds to my comic, namely what I call the nightmare corridor, which on its own might not be too bad in appearance, other than the monster that lives inside it that hunts the unfortunate within. So, I wanted to look for something somewhat warped, that didn't look quite right, and with nice dark places for a monster to hide.

So I started with a sketch of the place in my sketch book:


As you can see, I was mainly trying to give it odd angles, twisting the floor and walls, making the supports....not so supportive, to try and give an underlying feel of 'this is not a normal place. Well, less underlying, more as if you were looking at a picture through a bended mirror, I guess. I thought it made it look disturbing without putting signs everywhere saying 'look at me, I'm a horror thing - bwahaha'. 

Of course, the sketch is all well and good, but I am drawing a fully coloured comic, so I needed to bring this to like far more.


Sorry for the slightly smaller photo there - it was difficult to photograph the wacom - I'll admit I've got to get the hang of screen grabs. Anyway, I felt quite pleased with how this turned out. Though the shadows are far closer to the front than in the sketch, it still feels as though it fits, and gives me a little more wiggle room for the monster slinking out of the darkness. I tried to give some realistic textures to the walls in an attempt to bring it to life further. In the end, I was quite pleased with it. Now all I need is to add both the characters and monsters in it and it'll be good to go!

I'm especially pleased as backgrounds have never been a strong suit of mine, but I've been attempting to rectify this since last year, so I'm happy that there is improvements.

Oh, also, last week I showed some of the front cover. I've done a bit more to it now!


Admittedly its not much, but I was experimenting a little. So far I added slight shadows and the glowing eyes. I might need to think if the background behind should remain white or a different colour, however.

Of course, suggestions are welcome. Otherwise, I'll be doing some tests and will give you guys an update once I decide. Either that or put it to a vote. lol.

Well, I'll be continuing with my base sketches and hopefully start up a few more pages before my update next week, as well as an update on how things went at the MCM as well.

Until next time!

Tara



No comments:

Post a Comment