Monday 7 May 2018

Fair Days Faire



Hey everyone! Welcome back!

I don't know about anyone else, but where I live, we've been having some really nice weather, which is kinda weird around the May Bank Holiday. The last few years at least have been pretty gloomy weather wise, which is kinda ironic, considering every May Bank Holiday, my town has a faire that shows up with rides, live music, game stands, food stalls and a market. Its nothing huge - my town isn't particually a large one - but its still nice to see since it only really shows up once or twice a year. It also really livens things up a bit too, though bad weather sometimes screws up the turnout.

This past week and today, though, has had pretty great weather! Blue skies as far as the eye could see. Aaaaand, of course, that meant I was working inside a pub most of the time since, where there is a large turn out of people for a local faire, it also means that pubs get busy too. Still, I did have a bit of a look around when I could. I even took a few pictures, though it didn't really get the full scale of everything. Beware my horrible phone photo taking skills! lol.



So firstly was the market - took the photo from a bit of a distance - but there was some pretty fun stuff going on. There were some people dressed up as Stormtroopers and were probebly boiling, but they were taking photos with people. There were lots of stands selling various things from food to toys to hand made items. Beyond the stalls were some of the rides, such as the waltzers - you can see the back of that on the picture - the maroon coloured thing on the right - though there were more rides and stalls just beyond the town hall - the building on the left.

One thing I did find funny was there was that really small gazebo that you can see on the left. I found out that was a paddling pool for dogs so they didn't overheat. That was nice of them! I know while I was working a fair number of people brought their dogs with them, so at least they had ways to stay cool when not getting bowls of water when they're brought into the pub.



Along with Waltzers, bumper cars, and what looked to be some kind of haunted house (didn't get close enough to know for sure on that last one), intermingled with food stalls, there were some of these rides, like the spinning one at the top where they strap you in and you spin around while it tilts you at different angles. There was a kid's Ferris Wheel and a fun house, or 'Crazy Cottage' as it was called. There was game stands sort of like the Ducks one, where you had to hook a duck to get a prize.



It wasn't just games, rides and food stalls, but there was a car show going on, showing pretty old styled cars to newer kinds. I'm not a big car person, but I'll admit it was pretty cool to see the older styled cars. I don't know about anyone else, but I think they have lots of character :)

Though there was no photos of this (mostly as nothing was playing at the time I wasn't working) there was also a stage that would play live bands, make announcements etc, and would play music in the middle of these times for entertainment.

There's one thing I was sad not to get photo's of, though, and that was that they made a huge sand pit for people to build sandcastles and stuff as if on a beach, and to make it that much more authentic (in a purely British holiday feel), they even brought donkey's for donkey rides. If nothing else, I would have loved to see the donkeys. Donkey's are cute.

Its a shame it doesn't stay for too long. By the time I was finished at work today they had started to pack up to move on to....wherever they go when not in my town - as you can tell, I know little about fairs. lol. But still, it was fun while it lasted. I just hope the next time it rolls into town, the weather will hold up just as well.

Though it'd be nice if it was advertised a bit more, next time. If I didn't work in a pub in town, and thus passed the signs on the sides of the road, I might not have known it was going to be there at all. Usually there's a bit more advertisement. Though since we have it every May Holiday, maybe they assumed we'd guess it was there? I dunno. Either way, should be fun when it comes again. Hopefully bringing the great weather too!

Until Next Time!

Tara


No comments:

Post a Comment