Monday 9 October 2017

Return of the Mascot!



Hey everyone! Welcome back!

So, since it is 'Inktober', I decided that this month I would be making vaguely 'halloweeny'. So, to start off all of that (since I started this whole thing a little late, admittedly) I decided the first of my Halloween images should be that of my mascot, Luphin. As you may or may not have seen in the past, I have drawn Luphin in various holiday images, such as for Valentines Day, Easter and Christmas, but for some reason, I had never actually done one for Halloween. Seemed like as good a time as any to finally rectify that! :)

For those who might not have been there during Luphin's conception, you may be wondering what on earth I'm talking about. Well, Luphin originally came into being as a bit of an in joke between myself and a friend. It mainly involved a toy I bought at a convention - a mochi cat. Now, I'm not sure if that was the actual name of the item, but it kinda reminds me of mochi with cat expression, ears, tail and tiny stubby feet. It was after the convention that I was joking about how on earth it would move, if a real living one existed, and joked that it couldn't possibly walk on the stubby legs and would have to roll everywhere. To illustrate the point I rolled the toy off the hotel bed saying 'La la la'.

Eh, we had a long day. Anything could seem funny.

But either way, that in and of itself was what lead to the eventual creation of Luphin, little fuzzy creatures that only speak in 'La' sounds and were essentially accidental creations. What Luphin look like....well, you've seen them a lot - my avatar image with my user name shows one of them! Although admittedly the original versions were pink. (These days they could be any pastel colouring).

As for the name....we were also joking about why it was made in the first place and I mentioned it was likely for cleaning purposes with the odd tail it has, which in original concepts resembled a luffa. The name Luphin derived from that.

...For an in joke, I think I overthought it a bit. lol!

Backstory out of the way, here we go! The Halloween Luphin!

It has been a while since I last drawn my mascot, so I'm very happy to see a Luphin once again. Considering how Luphin look - mainly just....kinda cute...I was trying to think how to make it 'Halloweeny' and so I thought, well, why not add a few Halloween props instead. As such, an iconic pumpkin and a witch's hat. Admittedly the hat went through a few colour changes as one of them was originally a type of green colour. Since that looked far too much like some kind of deformed Leprechaun hat instead, it's colour changed. No offense to Leprechauns (or people who like that horror movie series) but it didn't quite fit the feel of Halloween. Not to mention that the blue-purple colour fits the pinkish fur a bit more.
I might work on it a bit more to maybe give a bit of extra shine to it at some point, either surface stuff or maybe to have the pumpkin itself lit up, but for now, I was happy with how it came out.

Hey, if you guys think I should try any other holiday with Luphin, throw me a suggestion and I'll see how it goes!

This coming week I have a project that I'll be working on, but I'll do my best to work on another personal project as well for Inktober. Wish me luck!

Until next time!

Tara


No comments:

Post a Comment