Tuesday 25 September 2018

Animals! Comics! Fun!



Hey everyone! Welcome back!

First, a quick appology for the delay in this blog post. Due to illness and an important birthday - my younger brother's 21st, to be specific - my work schedule was somewhat mixed up from normal. On Monday, which I normally have a free evening and thus I blog on, I was covering for someone at work, and my usual shift today is being taken in return. Those of you who follow me on twitter will know I left a note on there, though.

(If your not following me on twitter yet @chosha_kurenai then you may want to, if only for any little updates that I might post up there in cases such as these when I get delays and stuff)

With that out of the way, on to buisness!

So, there is a character I'm drawing at the moment which is a bit different from the norm. Usually, I draw human characters - or at least humanoid ones - with the exception of the ninetailed fox I drew earlier in the year and the odd Luphin (my mascot) here and there. This character I am drawing, however, is an anthropomorphic animal. As much as I like animals, I admittedly haven't drawn many in recent times other than a couple characters from undertale (can you count Toriel as an animal-like character?) and, a few years back, a couple of fursona as sketch commissions while at conventions. Before that, the only real animal characters I've really drawn was when I was doing a two page comic as part of an assignment at university.

The comic assignment was a side project to the 'Fairy Tales' project we did, where we drew out the name of a random fairytale or fable (I got the gingerbread man) and had to make a twelve page comic of a new interpretation of said fairytale. My Gingerbread man comic ended up becoming a detective story about how a criminal code named the gingerbread man was on the run from the police and Inspector Raymond Fox was tasked to capturing him.

(I'm actually wondering about making an improved version of the comic. There was much more I could have done with it if I didn't have a 12 page limit. And could draw better and it wasn't my first attempt at digital anything)

The two page additional story however was different. What we had to do there was work with another student. One would write the concept, the other would draw it, and it had to be based on the 12 paged comic the one concepting the story made.

I'm....not entirely sure how my two pager got a tortoise and the hair race out of and exceptionally different retelling of the princess and the pea - but from what I gather both hair and tortoise were caught up in the crossfire of a fight from the twelve page one in one of the panels. This the two page comic focused on them.

I was given a very vague concept though. More a 'these are the characters.....do something with them'. As such, I made up a silly joke and ran with it. Unlike my Gingerbread man comic, it was hand drawn and I was doing an attempt at matching a different style. What I got was this:




Yes, I admit, it was a bit cheesy, but that's pretty much my humour all over :P

Anyway, other than sharing that with you guys, since it otherwise would have faded into obscurity, the point is, this was the real last time I made an anthropomorphic animal character that wasn't based on a fursona or mythology.

The character in question is more similar to the kind of animals on Zootopia (Or Zootropolis, if you're from the UK like me, which I still dont get. Zootopia sounds much better in my opinion) - that being, standing on hind legs, dressed in human clothing and fully acting like a human might. Milo Forager, the character in question, is a raccoon character, tending to wear either a lazily worn suit or sometimes shirt, trousers and a hoodie, depending on what he's doing at the time. His day job being a detective.

Thus, what I'm currently working on. I'm in the middle of sketches, full body, expressions and maybe different outfits, and I hope to be able to show you some of them when I have a pool to show you so its not just 'here, random sketch'. Depending on how he turns out, I may even think about using him in a story. We'll have to see.

I'm actually really looking forwards to working on an animal character for once! :)

Until next time!

Tara


No comments:

Post a Comment