Monday 17 September 2018

Character Sketch: Kougeki!



Hey everyone! Welcome back!

So, between working on a commission I'm currently doing, I've also been doing some sketches of a character that I made a while ago, but never really drawn before. Partly this was more warm up type things than anything, but two that I did do I'm somewhat considering turning digital in the manner I did Huojin last month. They are both upper body shots and certainly have room for improvement, especially for details, but I do have a couple of ideas if I do end up using them.

For a bit of context though, the character I sketched here is named Kougeki. In the roleplay he was created for, he was originally one of the sub-bosses of an organisation that was meant to essentially destroy the world in an intense 'cleanse' and recreate it. For Kougeki, unlike the head and his fellow deputy, wasn't particually interested in the ethical dilemmas and such, but rather followed out of loyalty to the leader who had given him a purpose after circumstances left him without the ability to physically feel anything and being blind in one eye when it was turned into an optical weapon.

While not particually evil nor predominantly good, Kougeki is wild and unpredictable and, through the course of the story finds his own purpose and, in doing so, ends up acting as a type of antihero and ends up helping to stop the actual destruction of the world in the end, mostly since he would lose his purpose again if the world was reduced to ash rather than because he disagreed or agreed with any particular philosophy. If nothing else, he's fun to use in the roleplay, if only because of his behaviour and because he doesn't fit into the purely 'good' or 'evil' categories.

So, that said, these are the sketches and what ideas I have in mind for them.


Sketch number one is pretty much a simple portrait-like shot of Kougeki, and is sort of a cross between what I did with Huojin, and when I was doing a series of portraits of characters. It would be the less detailed of course, with it being only that, so no background involved, but it would serve as a good reference shot.

Sketch number two I sort of have an idea of doing a more 'poster like' picture of Kougeki prepping for a fight and would be interesting to see the lighting - or rather, lightening - effects. Though the photo of the sketch isn't too obvious, but Kougeki has lightning crackling around his hands and it would make for a different tone to the simple portrait. This one might even have a background to it. I have an idea of making it almost like a comic panel, depending on how it goes.

Of course, both these sketches are simple ideas more than anything, mostly to see if they work. Going forwards, the and sketches that would be the basis for the actual pictures will be a bit more detailed and more refined in placements and such. Admittedly these aren't my main priority, but I'll be updating you on them as I work on them so you can see how they're coming along.

I'll admit, I look forwards to working on sketch 2 - I've not needed to do lightning effects since I worked on the Susanoo comic! Hopefully I remember how it works. If not, then I'm sure I'll be doing research to remind me about it soon enough!

Until next time!

Tara


No comments:

Post a Comment