Monday 16 April 2018

Oh My Goodness...



Hey everyone! Welcome back!

Oh my god, I found some of the first sketches I did of both Somnus and Rem, back when I was first playing with the idea of Dreamwalkers. This was long before I was at Uni and the ideas were...probebly no more than a paragraph. It was only really after I started University doing the cartoon and comic degree that either characters really settled into forms that I would use. Honestly, I practically forgot about these as at one point I had up to thirty story ideas that I had written into notebooks.

Looking back on some ideas...well, they weren't particually detailed at the time, or were pretty...uh...bad. It was only really later that I had gathered the best ideas and began to come up with something a bit more detailed. With some of the less thought out ones that wouldn't have worked on their own but still had some promise with short plotlines or were too similar to other story ideas I had, I actually cannibalised into the more promising stories, where the better ideas would shine without just coming across as poorly written or with half baked characters that didn't do them justice.

Still, it was in those really old ideas that I found some pen sketched first draft version of the characters that would eventually evolve into two key figures in Dreamwalkers.

Just a warning, they're pretty bad. My art style's evolved a lot from when I came up with these. Mind you, at the time, my goal was more to write the stories in a novel form rather than a comic, buuuuut...they're still pretty bad



It's pretty funny how much Rem changed, honestly. His first, first version looks nothing like him, but it seems even the me of the past agreed as the sketch at the bottom  appeared a few pages later, when he started to resemble the self he becomes - couldn't miss the cow lick! lol Though his hair seemed to be more wavy back then. On the other hand, I'm not entirely sure what I was thinking for Somnus. I did, of course, keep his wavy hair, but I think I made his face slightly less....uh...cat like? Not to mention his hair became longer...

Though the word itself is a bit overused...I was certainly cringing, looking back. At the same time its fascinating seeing how my characters have evolved from these little pen doodles. I may have mentioned it before, but seeing these makes me want to look through those old story ideas, find old sketches and do sketches of them in my current art style, just to see how they look. Who knows, I may even find some lost gems from my past. Not to mention pretty fun!

Until next time!

Tara


No comments:

Post a Comment